Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Day After Mother's Day

As the Monday morning rush kicked into high gear and routines resumed, I thought again about my Mommy. Never one for melodramatic holidays, she reminded me on the phone that every day is Mother's Day. I must say that perspective has made a huge difference on the way I raised my own two children. Avoiding those unrealistic ideals of the perfect mom of the 50's or the super mom of the 80's, my perspective has been shaped by a loving woman whose ideal resembles more the character of Jesus Christ.

After all the hoopla is over, my Mommy is still there and still the same loving woman I have known my whole life. Her love translates into action on a daily basis. I believe she has lived a life of service with a vulnerable heart, willing to risk being hurt or criticized. That takes alot of courage. At times of pain, instead of hiding and building walls, she has persevered and allowed those experiences to help her connect and understand other women better.

Although my mommy does not seek to be the center of attention and prefers us to "hang out" together, instead of having some big party, I also realize that deep down my mommy is like the rest of us. We all want to know that we are loved deeply. So, I want to shout across the globe to all who can hear "I love my Mommy!!". She is my dearest friend and the only person alive who knows where I've been and what I've done.

Thank you, Mommy! Eu te amo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write, Diana, so down to earth and always from your heart. Think you for saying something about your Mommy- I find myself loving her almost as much as you do. After 45 years of being a Mommy, you're right, she has been one of the most consistent women I have ever known, yet always improving and striving to be what God has called her to be in Christ.

John Paul Todd
e4unity.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous post.